Wednesday, March 11, 2009

R.I.P. Grandpa James Berry Jr.





Husband, father, grandfather, brother, uncle, friend, revolutionary, Mr. Fix-it, gardener, story teller, history lesson, world traveler, . But today is the day that I have spent most of my life wishing in the back of my mind would never come. There are many reasons why I had hoped to keep my Grandpa forever, most all of them are the selfish "because I need him" kind; however, God has a much larger plan for people who have the character and moral fortitude that Grandpa possessed.

If I could only pick one thing to tell you all about my grandfather it would be something you already know, because I would say that every person here is a slightly better person just because they knew him. When I talk to anyone about leading by example, he is the FIRST person that comes to my mind. He was a man of genuine integrity and charisma, a true lover and a family man. The kind of man who gave little girls hope of having a happily ever after... because even when things were hard he never faulted on being true to his life as a husband, a father, a grandfather, or friend.

Growing up, my entire, life until I was old enough to drive myself, every other weekend Grandpa would drive out to wherever I lived, pick me up and bring me to their house for the weekend. RAIN or SHINE… he was there. He must have put 40,000 miles on his many dodge vehicles he owned throughout my life. But he wanted to be sure I understood that just because everyone in the world around me may be falling apart doesn't mean I have to. He wanted to instill in every one a certain level of self sustaining lifestyle..He taught me how to believe in myself, bait a hook, gut a fish, golf, be resourceful, recycle, drive a car and a boat, and not to mention he was the camping guru, and we mustn't forget Kern River is the best and most sacred place in the world!! He stayed strong for everyone no matter how crazy things got, but was always sure to have fun along the way and he never took life to seriously, because as he used to tell me "Don't sweat the small stuff, and its all small stuff!"

He was a man of few words but of many great and inspiring actions. Even though he was an old fashioned man, he was always open to listen to any of my cookey new age ideas, tell me how to make them better or why they wouldn't work, he comforted me when I was distressed and wanted nothing but the best for all of his children, grandchildren and friends regardless to their beliefs, location or orientation. He offered true acceptance and respect regardless to weather he understood or not, but he would always be sure to let you know what he thought... a heart of gold...hard working...loving husband, father, grandpa and friend.

Today we should all leave here just a little bit more driven, passionate, accepting, loving and happy because that's what he would have wanted. Love and Blessings

Thank you for everything Grandpa!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you think.... be as blunt, honest, free as you see fit! xo
Blessings
Nichole